Poison Ivy And What It Means To You when Affected By It-crycry

Health Poison Ivy is a plant that is to be seen through most of North America and is present in two main varieties Western, or Pacific, and Atlantic. The problem with Poison Ivy, which grows as ground cover and can grow into large bushes, is that it contains an oil Urushiol that, when it comes into contact with our skin, causes very irritating blistering and irritation. It is in our interest to understand that the oil occurs not just in the leaves but in many parts of the plant, including the root and the stem, and it is the immune system reacting against the poison, as it seeps into the skin, that is the instigator of the pain we experience. Why Poison Ivy is poisonous It may seem pointless to us that at plant should be poisonous, but like many living things Poison Ivy has its home in the ecosystem. The way it grows is a clue as it gives shelter for lower growing plants and ground dwelling animals, and the majority of these are, unlike humans, not affected by the oil. Also, Poison Ivy supplies berries that are an important foodstuff for a number of bird species. How to know the symptoms and more about Urushiol oil. The patient will very quickly undergo irritation in the skin, mixed with severe itching and inflammation in the concerned area. The skin will become discoloured and a burning sense will occur, and in a short span blisters will form along with the rash. Suffering can persist for many weeks or may be gone within days, and an individual case is different. It is suggested that cooling the skin is a good antidote and also prevents further infection. There are a number of important facts that people need to understand about Urushiol oil, and the first is that it is very potent indeed. Research has displayed that a quantity of the oil the size of a pin-head could spread to 500 people, and as it is not a water based substance it will not evaporate. The latter problem presents a major difficulty as it means the oil can stick to on items it has been in contact with for as long as, and maybe longer than, a year. This gives us the possibility of re-infection, or of a person who has not been in contact with the plant being contaminated. Clothes, shoes, tools and pets can all be party to the oil, and the very small amounts necessary to cause suffering give it greater potency. Gloves and coats, as well as boots, are among the most obvious causes of Poison Ivy infection and should be disinfected thoroughly if contamination is suspected. How anyone can become infected There are many ways that an individual can come into contact with the oil from Poison Ivy, and transfer from preciously contaminated clothing and other items is one way as we have already noted. The reason that we suffer when having been contaminated by the oil is because of the natural reaction it promotes, and it is notable that direct contact with the plant is not imperative to induce a reaction. If Poison Ivy is burned the smoke is contaminated with vaporised oil, and even coming into contact with this smog can induce an attack. It has been said that a 100 year old plant once affected a person, an indication of how dangerous the plant can be. Anything that has been in contact with the sap of the plant has to be avoided, therefore, and animals kept away from Poison Ivy bushes. How to deal with a sufferer of a Poison Ivy reaction It is essential that treatment is initiated immediately, and the best method is to wash the affected area in warm water. A sensible recommendation is to use a very powerful antimicrobial soap and to do all one can to stop the patient from scratching, as this will spread the trouble ever more. It is recommended to open the blisters, too, and to bring the area of infection exposure to the air. Keeping blisters bandaged is vital in order not to add infection. Remember that it is simply the oil that will allow the infection to spread, so contact with it should be treated with caution. The condition will, at some point, clear up completely, but there are treatments available for the irritation and for the worst reactions. It is the domain of the individual whether to let it die naturally or to look for further help. Some of us are fortunate in that they have no sensitivity to Poison Ivy, but these are rare and most of us would be infected by coming into contact with the bush. If one finds Poison Ivy the best advice one can give is the most natural avoid it very carefully and dont let your pet near it. About the Author: 相关的主题文章: